Tuesday, April 14, 2009

writers blues

So a few months ago, that would only be a few posts ago, I posted that I finished a book. Beginning, Middle, and End - characters, a plot and all. I've since then started to try to re-write, ah the re-write and write again. I've seen new characters and plot twists. A whole new direction for this is unfolding before me. It feels almost like writing the first draft again. I don't know what's coming next. It's so exciting!!
Since I work full time most of my writing is done on my hour lunch and when I can sneak in sometime at work. For some reason it's easier to write there. Anyway I was telling a co-worker of mine about my book and asking for feedback on my ideas and the little I've written. (I'll prod for feedback from anywhere. I'm pretty shameless that way. ) She got so excited about the fact that I was writing a book, not the book itself mind you just that I was writing one. She noticed that I used several of my other co-workers names, not intentional mind you completely accidental. She of course wanted her name in there somewhere. So I changed one of the very minor characters names, so minor I was going to write them out, and just like that the character came to life for me! It was so bizzare. I didn't have need for this character, in fact I usually didn't even remember her name but now that she has a familiar name she has a personality and a part, she is really there now in the book. It's great. Well, Katie, this co-worker of mine got very excited about that and loved to read the parts with her name. Like a little kid. It was the funniest thing and the simplest, most unexpected forms of instant gratification.
It made it worth it to change a name, not only because it literally created a new character, it also got someone excited about my book.

Ok so this isn't really the writers blue but it started that way. Re-writes are tough. But apparently worth it.

No comments: