Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sunshine, angry Ohioans, and one awesome Police Cheif

I'm a red head. Fair skin, blue eyes, blonde eyelashes, the works. So why is it that I never remember to cover up in the sun. I'm from Arizona, I had a perpetual sunburn for my entire childhood. And yet the lesson never sticks. I never rememeber sunscreen and a hat when it really counts.

Today was one of those days. Burnt to a crips, stick a fork in me I'm done, etc. I knew, when I was asked to sit on a corner holding up a sign for 8 hours a day for three days that sunshine and me don't mix. I thought I was prepared, I had my iPod for music, my sister for company, water to hydrate and an umbrella that was almost more trouble than it was worth. I had a feeling this morning that I needed to bring a hat, put on sunblock, wear long pants, cover up more in general, of course obstinate me I didn't listen. Now I'm paying for.

There are a lot of life lessons to be learned from my experience holding that sign on that corner today. First, listen when you feel like you need to do something or you will get burned, sometimes quite literally. Second, even if their nice to your face their secretly hoping you do get burned. That's where the angry Ohioan comes in. See we were paid by a guy in our ward that own a pawn shop to sit and advertize his business while some big out of state company tried to set up a gold buying convention just up the road. He really just wanted to piss the people off and make them feel unwelcome in our little town. Afterall, if Ohio got his business what was he going to do. The manager of this little Ohio operation decided after watching us for an hour to come talk to me, sike me out I guess. He had a smile plastered on his face just waiting for me to crack. Of course I was on to him and didn't let him get to me. Though I did get burned, we just won't let him know. ;)

Shortly after his visit I recieved another very friendly visit from the chief of police. They had recieved, "8,000" calls from the Ohio operation this morning and thought he would make sure we were doing ok. He didn't like their operation any more than we did! He assured us that state law wouldn't allow them to continue their operation after next month, wished us well and went on his way. Lesson three, small towns rock. We have to stick together and depend on each other to survive.

So, next time I have the feeling I'll follow, I won't trust someone because of a smile and I'll remember to get the back of my neighbors when they need it.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Hahaha! I love this story of small town unity. Sounds like you are fitting in just fine!